- Laptops, PDAs, or other electronic equipment should be placed out of sight in a locked drawer or cabinet when not in use.
- Do not leave electronic devices or other high value items in plain view in your vehicle.
- Keep your purse, wallet, or other valuable items with you at all times or locked in a drawer or cabinet.
- Do not leave a purse under a desk or a wallet in a jacket that’s left on a chair or behind an office door.
- Do not hang your purse, or your jacket with your wallet in the pocket, on the back of your chair in a restaurant. If you place your purse on the floor, keep it between your feet.
- Report to 2200 Pennsylvania Avenue Security any broken or flickering lights, dimly lit corridors, doors that do not lock properly, broken windows, or other safety hazards.
- Check the identification of any strangers, delivery or repair persons. Do not be afraid to call for verification.
- A simple “May I help you?” can go a long way in deterring a suspicious person. This question can be reasonably asked of anyone who is unknown to you.
- If the person is there legitimately, the question will appear courteous and helpful. If the person is there for some unlawful reason, the attention will provide undesired visibility - most often, enough to drive a suspicious person away. Even individuals claiming to be looking for Human Resources, or for a friend or relative could be intruders or potential thieves.
If you notice any suspicious or unusual activity, immediately notify 2200 Pennsylvania Avenue Security at (202) 719-6975.